Life at Reindeer Farm
Welcome to Ounaskievari!
“We are looking forward for you to visit us here in our reindeer farm on the bank of River Ounas. The main house has over 100 years history as a hostelry when people from the North were on their way South. Food was also served if it was ready. River Ounas was an important route between Northern and Southern Lapland. Typical way of transportation was a reindeer sleigh and a horse sledge.
We have developed the services that we have today by respecting nature and ancient culture of reindeer hearding. With the experience of more than 30 years, we offer reindeer sleigh rides and activities during the winter and short hiking tours during the summer.
You’re more than welcome to visit us!”
Reindeer sleigh rides and activities
Our target is to offer fun and safe experience with reindeer. They are semi-wild animals and they’ve been always been used for transport. It takes years to train them.
We offer a variety of reindeer activities, and also special transportation like a wedding sleigh rides.
Reindeer Farm Visitmin. 4 persons
- Reindeer Farm Visit includes a short reindeer ride, feeding reindeer and hearing a little bit of a reindeer herders life.We are located about 7 kilometers from Levi Ski and Leisure resort in Lapland Finland.
- Farm visit includes one kilometer reindeer ride, Kiepahus, the trail goes partly in forest. On this trip, you can feed the reindeer, take some photos and you can hear story and see some photos about reindeer and life over here in Lapland. We will offer a hot beverage inside of our main building.
- Duration 1- 1,5 h.
- Min 4 persons.
Poroloikka - sleigh ridemin. 2 persons
- Poroloikka is a 3 km sleigh ride in snowy forest in Ounaskievari. After the sleigh ride you get to hang out with reindeer, reward them with treats and do a photoshoot or take a selfie with Rudolf. The tour is 3 km long, but it takes 1 or 1,5 hours. After feeding the reindeer a hot beverage is served in the house of Ounaskievari.
- Duration 1-1,5 h
Reindeer Tripmin. 2 persons
- On the reindeer trip you’ll get to enjoy the quiet nature when we’ll have a break at the traditional Lappish hut. We’ll drink coffee and fry sausages by open fire.
- The duration of the reindeer sleigh ride including breaks is about 2 hours.
- Min. 2 persons
Poronulkkamin. 4 persons
- A longer trip to Silmävasa kota, which is located about 5 kilometers from Ounaskievari reindeer farm.
- The trail goes through snowy forests, and on a good weather the reindeers might get excited and make a little race to the coffee break.
- In Mettäpirtti, we prepare warm drinks (coffee / tea) and cook reindeer wraps on the open fire. Naturally, on separate order, lunch can be served in Mettäpirtti, too.
- We can also organize transportation on request to all these programmes.
- If it is colder than -25 degrees below zero we may have to cancel these programmes.
We arrange transfers to our programmes.
We also arrange different kind of combinations of our activities including short or longer dog and reindeer rides and meals at the hut of Silmävasa.
If it is colder than -25 degrees below zero we may have to cancel these programmes.
The hut of Silmävasa is built in the middle of the forest but you can also see the lights of Levi Centre. You’ll get there by reindeer, dogs, car or snowmobile. If you’re lucky, you might meet Santa.
You’re warmly welcome!
We have been operating our reindeer farm in Levi for about 30 years. Our main house is located on the bank of the River Ounas, in the beautiful traditional scenery of Köngäs.